Frequently Asked Questions

How is ICSEW Funded?
  • ICSEW is funded through gifts, grants, and training revenue. ICSEW does not receive funding from the General Fund – State (SFS).
How do I become a member?
  • ICSEW members and alternate members are appointed by their agency directors. If your agency does not currently have a representative or alternate representative, you can apply to be one. We recommend attending one of our meetings or speaking with a board member and exploring our website to familiarize yourself about the work we do.

To apply to serve on the ICSEW, you will need to send the following to icsew@ofm.wa.gov:

  • A letter of interest explaining why you want to serve on ICSEW
  • Current resume
  • Letter  from your agency director or sponsor

If you are appointed, you will receive a confirmation letter from you agency sponsor or director.

Sample letters and complete application instructions can be found here.

If you have any questions, please direct them to:

Amal Joury, ICSEW Chair: icsew@ofm.wa.gov.

Please see our Represent Your Agency page for more information.

Can I attend ICSEW meetings if I am not a representative or alternate?
  • ICSEW meetings are open, public meetings. Anyone may attend, regardless of gender or employment status.If you’re a state employee who is not a representative or alternate, we encourage you to attend with approval from your supervisor.
Is the ICSEW only open to women?
  • No. Any employee who works for a state agency or higher education institution may apply to serve on the ICSEW, regardless of gender. Anyone can attend ICSEW meetings, regardless of gender or employment status.
How can I get updates about what is going on with ICSEW?

There are many ways you can get updates on the work of ICSEW:

  1. Follow our blog and Facebook pages. We have a “Follow” button at the bottom of of this page where you can enter your email address to receive notifications of new blog posts.
  2. Attendan ICSEW meeting.
  3. Contact Contact one of our executive board members


How long is a term and how many terms can I serve?
  • Representatives are appointed to two-year terms. Most terms begin July 1 and end June 30 unless the representative is filling a position vacated mid-term. There is no limit on the number of terms a representative can serve.
How much time is involved in serving on ICSEW?
  • At a minimum, members must attend a full-day meeting six times a year and must join at least one subcommittee. The amount of time involved in participating on a subcommittee varies depending on events and activities. Members should work with their subcommittee chairs to ensure a participation level fitting their workload and agency expectations.
How often are the meetings?
  • Regular meetings are usually on the third Tuesday of each odd-numbered month (July, September, November January, March, and May). There may be some meetings falling outside of the regular schedule because of holidays. See our calendar at a glance page for the current year’s meeting dates.
Can I attend an executive board meeting, even if I am not a board member?
  • All of our meetings are free and open to anyone, including our executive board meetings. The ICSEW is a committee of government employees, conducting government business. Open pubic meetings are essential for government transparency and accountability. ICSEW representatives and alternates are welcome to attend our board meetings to learn more about the committee and the role board members play in the committee’s work.Executive board meetings are held on the third Tuesday of each even numbered month (August, October, December, February and April) and immediately following each regular meeting. See our at glance calendar page for the current year’s meeting dates.
Do I have to join a subcommittee?
  • Yes. The success of ICSEW depends on the work done by the subcommittees. Contact the ICSEW chair if you find you are not able to actively participate on a subcommittee.
How often do the subcommittees meet?
  • How often a subcommittee meets varies. The frequency of meetings is set by the subcommittee chair. Contact the subcommittee chair information specific subcommittee information.
Can I attend the meetings if I am an alternate and the representative is able to attend?
  • Yes. Alternates are welcome to attend all of our meetings! However, it is up to your agency to approve your attendance at meetings if you are an alternate. Some agencies may only allow alternates to attend when the representative is not able to do so.
Can I join a subcommittee if I am an alternate?
  • Yes. Alternates can participate in all ICSEW activities with the exception of voting. However, you will need to check with your agency or supervisor for approval to participate.
Can I vote if I am an alternate?
  • No. Only an agency appointed representative may vote. If an alternate is attending a meeting (where a vote will take place) in the absence of a representative, the representative may complete a proxy voting form to allow the alternate to vote on their behalf.
How does ICSEW communicate with the Governor’s Office?
  • The governor’s office appoints a staff member to be the liaison to ICSEW. The liaison is given time at every meeting to update the committee on the governor’s priorities and receive feedback from the members. In addition, the ICSEW chair may schedule individual meetings with the liaison in order to communicate with the governor’s office about ICSEW priorities and activities. ICSEW may also formally communicate with the governor’s office through letters or memos. The current liaisons to ICSEW are RaShelle Davis and Paulette Avalos.
What are my responsibilities as an ICSEW Representative?

Responsibilities include:

  • Attending all meetings
  • Actively participating on at least one subcommittee
  • Sharing information with your agency about ICSEW activities and events
  • Developing a means of communication with your director or sponsor for the purpose of providing briefings and executive guidance.
How should I communicate with my agency about ICSEW activities and events?
  • This varies by agency. Representatives should work with their agency director or sponsor to develop a clear plan for communication (i.e., sending emails, providing articles about ICSEW in agency newsletters, or attending meetings to provide updates or overviews). Often times, an agency’s communications or public affairs division can help you distribute information to employees. The ICSEW also publishes a downloadable bulletin on its home page that can be shared on agency intranets or posted in allowable areas at state agencies.
How do I submit articles for the ICSEW blog?
  • Submit all blog articles to Rachel Friederich, ICSEW Communications Chair at rachel.friederich@doc.wa.gov. You can also send them to icsew@ofm.wa.gov. Include the words INTERACT BLOG in the subject line.
Do I need to be an ICSEW representative or alternate to submit an article?
  • No. Anyone may submit an article for consideration, as long as it meets our guidelines.
What are your article submission guidelines?
  • The ICSEW accepts articles on any topic, as long as it is related to our mission and/or values. In general, the subcommittee follows plain talk and Associated Press (AP) guidelines for writing. Click here to view our submission guidelines.