One of the most effective ways to make your voice heard is to use the telephone and literally make your voice heard.
Calling your representative can ensure that you’re able to make your position on a bill clear.
A phone call can also provide an opportunity to push for a solid response on a vote.
Tip: Open with your name and zip code. This aids both your state and local representatives to quickly confirm that you are indeed their constituent.
When you call:
- Introduce yourself by name and location.
- Try district offices if you can’t get through to DC.
- Ask to speak to the staff who handles the issue.
- Asks for specificity on what the legislator plans to do.
- Put the “ask” up front. Use concrete language like “vote yes” or “vote no” rather than “support” or “oppose.”
- Personal anecdotes and reasons are optional.
- Let them know you will broadcast their response.