ICSEW BILL ALERT SB 5393: College Promise Scholarship
Why does this bill matter to you?
How does it apply to state employed women?
Creates the Washington college promise scholarship program to:
(1) Replace the state need grant program; and
(2) Provide a statewide free college program for eligible participants and greater access to post secondary education for state residents.
Requires the office of student financial assistance to:
(1) Implement and administer the program;
(2) Establish rules for implementation of the program; and
(3) Award Washington college promise scholarships to eligible students beginning in academic year 2021-2022.
- Requires the legislature to appropriate funding for the program.
- Requires the caseload forecast council to estimate the anticipated caseload of the program and submit the caseload forecast.
- Repeals certain statutes in chapter 28B.92 RCW regarding the state need grant program.
- Repeals chapter 28B.119 RCW (the Washington promise scholarship program).
Find Your Legislators
Legislative Hotline: 1.800.562.6000
The Interagency Committee of State Employed Women (ICSEW) Legislative and Policy Subcommittee is providing the following Bill Alert as a service to inform state employees on bills that impact us. ICSEW asks that employees remember to share their opinion in an ethical way, on their own time, and using their own phone, computer, or device.
As state employees, we cannot use state time or resources to lobby for or against legislative proposals. On your own time and using your own resources let your voice be heard by: