Know your options when contacting your senators and representatives. Your voice is a powerful tool – here are resources and tips for you to ensure you are heard and your voice is impactful when you visit your senator or representative. To find your representatives please use the below tools
Federal – https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
State – http://app.leg.wa.gov/MemberEmail/ (find your district http://app.leg.wa.gov/districtfinder/ )
Visiting your senator or representative
- Research before you go – know the issue you want to discuss and when possible know where your legislator stands on this issue.
- Bring the right people to the table
- Center people on the margins. Include voters, influencers and group leaders. I’d probably leave this bullet out. It isn’t super clear what it’s talking about
- Bring data and stories relevant to the district.
- Know your roles and who will make the “ask” when you are visiting as a group
- Know how you will respond to a yes/no/maybe.
- Follow up with thanks and answer any questions.
- Debrief with your group and broadcast results using social media when appropriate.