ICSEW BILL ALERT HB 1601
Creating universal worker protections act
Link to the bill: HB 1601
Why does this bill matter to you?
Creates the Employee Fair Classification Act, which creates new provisions prohibiting the misclassification of employees as independent contractors and creates remedies, including civil penalties and damages.
- Provides for the creation of workers’ boards, when certain thresholds are met, to set minimum pay rates and other labor standards for workers in certain industries.
- Establishes procedures for creating portable benefits for workers in certain industries.
- Specifies certain rights for workers and prohibits retaliation.
- Requires contributing agents to provide data and reports about workers.
- Requires the Department of Labor and Industries to investigate complaints, impose sanctions, conduct surveys, and fulfill other duties.
Find Your Legislators
Legislative Hotline: 1.800.562.6000
The Interagency Committee of State Employed Women (ICSEW) Legislative and Policy Subcommittee is providing the following Bill Alert as a service to inform state employees on bills that impact us. ICSEW asks that employees remember to share their opinion in an ethical way, on their own time, and using their own phone, computer, or device.
As state employees, we cannot use state time or resources to lobby for or against legislative proposals. On your own time and using your own resources let your voice be heard by: