Health and Wellness
To expand knowledge of health and wellness with an emphasis on holistic health and promoting healthy behaviors. We cover topics focusing on meeting our physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual needs to maintain balance through the journey of our lives.
Chair: Robyn Crawford, Department of Ecology
Mary Bilderback, Department for the Services for the Blind
Jaimie Devine, Department of Health
Rica Helberg, Office of Administrative Hearings
Rachael Kramer, Department of Social and Health Services
Christa Stevens, Department of Agriculture
Tracy Thornburg, Office of the Insurance Commissioner
March--Spring is Around the Corner!
- Healthy Spring Recipe--Creamy Asparagus Pasta
- March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month:
- ICSEW recently lost a valued member, Lorrie Jo Brown. To learn more about Pancreatic cancer, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatic_cancer.
Of cancers that affect both men and women, colorectal cancer is the second leading cancer killer in the Nation. Colorectal cancer affects all racial and ethnic groups and is most often found in people age 50 or older
Make a difference! Spread the word about strategies for preventing colorectal cancer and encourage communities, organizations, families, and individuals to get involved.
What We Do
- Provide health and wellness information to ICSEW members and state employees
- Coordinate guest speakers and wellness activities for general membership meetings
- Provide legislative/policy recommendations to ICSEW regarding women's health issues
- Monitor legislation that may affect health of state-employed women
- Coordinate the Health Fair for state employees
- Breast Feeding Resources
- Disease Prevention - Flu vaccine is available statewide
- Health Calendar - 2014
- Increase Healthy Aspects of Your Life
- Keep the Beat - Heart Healthy Recipes
- MyPlate for Kids
- PEBB (Public Employees Benefits Board)
- Washington Wellness
- What are my Health Risks?
- Cubicle Yoga
Executive Order 13-06. Improving the health and productivity of State Employees and access to healthy foods in State facilities
Signed by Governor Jay Inslee on October 30, 3013. Visit the Washington Wellness page of the HCA site (http://www.hca.wa.gov/pebb/wellness/Pages/index.aspx) to read more.
Washington Apple Health Program for Adults and Children
The DOH Tobacco Quitline (1-800-QUIT-NOW) is once again available to the uninsured and underinsured in Washington. Anyone who lives in our state is now eligible for a at least one call to the quit line.
For additional information please visit our Tobacco Quitline Services webpage
Community Sponsored Agriculture (CSA) Information:
Fitness Programs in Washington:
Nutrition and Food Safety:
- Barbecue and Picnic Food Safety
- Calorie Calculator
- Eat Right
- Eat Right - Nutritionist Tip Sheets
- Eating Well
- Food Recalls and Safety Alerts in Washington
- Life Stages: Nutrition
- Nutrition Data
- What the Sticker on Your Produce Actually Means
- Meditation: A Simple, Fast Way to Reduce Stress
- Stress-Lifestyle Changes
- Stress Management
- Stress Reduction Techniques